Everyone knows that Windows 10 isn’t perfect, but it is frustrating when one of the imperfect things happens to be a sound-related issue. There is no denying, every update brings bugs along with improvements, though sound-related ones are not acceptable. Sometimes you cannot play videos or audio files in your Windows 10 due to various reasons. Well, let’s see what can be done to fix sound problems in Windows 10.
Most of the time, audio problems are due to hardware. Though drivers can also be at fault. Using drivers that are not in time with the current generation of Windows 10, meaning outdated ones, can also cause sound problems in Windows 10. Sound problems can range from crackling sounds, out-of-synch audio, Windows 10 audio not working, and a few other issues. It also depends on the type of applications you are using, like media players or while gaming.
Almost every PC/laptop or any external device comes with compatible audio drivers. Though these drivers aren’t updated ones. So anyone using such drivers should update them immediately to prevent facing any sound issues. Before we get into all the different issues and how to fix sound problems in Windows 10, let’s see a simple procedure to fix Windows 10 sound issues.
How to Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10?
People who own a laptop or a PC will know what a troubleshooter is. That’s because a troubleshooter is an essential part of any PC/laptop which helps users fix most simple problems on their own. That includes sound problems in Windows 10 too. So if one can see any errors like “No sound Windows 10” or “sound not working Windows 10” then this should be a go-to solution.
This may not work in every scenario, but when it does, it works like a charm. So let’s use a simple troubleshooting procedure to fix sound problems in Windows 10. Follow all the steps to the point.
Steps to Run the Audio Troubleshooter
- Go to Settings in your Windows 10. Search for it in your Start menu.
- Then head to Troubleshoot menu by clicking the “Update & Security” option.
- In there, you can notice the Troubleshoot menu on the left. Click that option.
- In the next window, select the “Playing audio” option under the “Get up and running section”.
- Now you see the “Run the troubleshooter” option. Hit that option.
- The troubleshooter is launched and it scans your device audio for any irregularities.
- When any issues are found, users can apply the fix.
Apart from this, there’s another method to troubleshoot sound problems.
- Rather than going through all those tabs for the troubleshooter, just search “Fix and find problems with playing sounds” in the Start menu.
- This open a window for troubleshooting. Click Next, and it will scan the device for all audio devices or drivers.
- Select the required one and hit the Next button to scan the device/driver for any issues.
- After the scan is done, an option can be selected for the fix.
This pretty much does the trick to fix sound problems in Windows 10.
Common Sound and Audio Issues in Windows 10
There isn’t one thing that can go wrong with an audio device in Windows 10, and you cannot just fit these problems within a small spectrum. So let’s talk about some of these common issues in Windows 10 concerning sound/audio. We’ll start with the basic issues and solutions, so take a look at some of the things that can be done to fix them.
Check the Output
Sometimes there is no sound on the device and you wonder if something is wrong with the audio device. While this is a common concern, the issue might be something very simple. Like, the output may be a different thing than the one selected. This can also happen when there is a headphone connected to the PC/Laptop.
In such cases, just check for the output and make sure that the right one is selected. To do that, right-click on the sound icon seen on your taskbar and hover over to the “Speaker Setup(Stereo)” option that shows other options. In there, choose different sounds to see which one works better.
Well, this might not be a common thing, but it does happen that the audio device or the output isn’t properly connected. Any of your devices like headphones, audio jack, speaker, or anything else may have a faulty connection. Simply check whether all the cables, cords, or jacks are connected in the right spot.
Many surround systems and other audio devices have multiple jacks and cords, in case you do not know which one goes where then read the manual. If reading the manual doesn’t help then contact the manufacturer for assistance. Also, check for power and volume levels.
Choose a Default Audio Device
In case a wrong audio device is set as your default sound player then change it from the settings.
- This can be done by right-clicking on the sound icon on taskbar.
- Next, hover over to the Speaker Setup(Stereo).
- Now click the 3rd option, which is Advanced Setup.
- This open a new window that shows all the available audio devices connected to your PC.
- Choose the required one and right-click on it. There is a Set as Default Device option, hit it.
- Now the device is set as your default audio device.
Using Enhancement Might Not Be a Good Option
Many devices have audio enhancement enabled which might cause some sound errors. So to fix sound problems in Windows 10 let see the steps.
- On your Windows taskbar, right-click on the sound icon and hover towards the Speaker Setup option.
- This shows a bunch of other sound option but we need to click the Advanced Setup.
- Now you can see a new window that has multiple audio device in the Playback tab.
- Right-click on the device that you are using(default audio device) and go to Properties.
- Then head over to the Enhancements tab and select “Disable all enhancements/sound effects” depending on the option that is available.
- This will disable any kind of enhancement that is select for your default audio device. Now check the audio to see if the problem is fixed.
- If you are using multiple audio device then do this all of them.
Restarting the Audio Services Also Works
In the Extended local services, there are 3 services that you need to restart to fix sound problems in Windows 10. These services include Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and Remote Procedure Call(RPC). Restarting these 3 services in the given order should fix sound problems in Windows 10.
- First type “Services” in the Start menu, and click enter.
- This opens a window that shows all the Windows 10 Services.
- Head over to the mentioned services and right-click on everyone of them one after the other and hit the Restart option.
- This should be done in the mentioned order.
This mostly fixes the no sound Windows 10 issue.
Apart from these procedures, also try the previously mentioned troubleshooting method to fix sound problems in Windows 10. Updating the audio driver also fixes most Windows 10 no sound issues. Head over to Windows update settings to check for any audio driver updates. One other thing to check is that the default audio device has a green tick in sound settings, which indicates that the device is selected and working.
Tips & Tricks to Improve Sound in Windows 10
Anyone could agree that a better sound, amplifies the experience of a movie, game, or any audio. Well, not every device may offer the best sound experience. So for such users, certain tricks can be employed to get the best out of your device. Let us see some of these tips and tricks that can improve your device’s sound quality.
Windows 10 Sound Settings has an option to improve the audio quality of the device by providing more realistic and improved sounds. This setting is called the Spatial Sounds. Under this setting, select the Windows Sonic for headphones option. To access this:
- Go to System menu from Settings and click the Sound tab on the left.
- Under the Output setting there is a Device properties option. Hit that.
- Now you can see the Spatial sound menu. It generally has the stereo option selected. Change it to Windows Sonic for headphones.
Changing Sound Effects Helps Too
Every action in your Windows 10 is followed by some kind of sound to provide a better experience for that action. This can be personalized based on your preference for every action from the Settings.
- Right-click the sound icon on your taskbar and hit the sounds options.
- A Windows pops up showing various options of sounds for Program Events.
- Select the event and change the sound from the below sounds drop-down menu, left of Test option.
- Assign the desired sound for any event and hit the apply button.
- If you do not want any sounds, then change the Sounds Scheme to “no sounds”.
Use an App to Boost Your Audio
This is pretty common among users as they use an external tool or an app to enhance and boost the audio experience. Many such applications have a good reputation for providing great sounds. Some applications that you can try are FxSound, Boom3D, and Razer Surround.
Switch Between Audio Device and Control App Volumes
If your device is connected to multiple audio devices, then maybe try switching over to another one that has better sound. I know that sounds like a smart idea, but it works.
- This can be done by clicking the sound icon that can be found on the taskbar.
- Now click the audio device that is selected which in turn open a list of available audio devices.
- Choose the one that provides the better audio. Since certain applications wok better with specific audio devices.
- Speaking of applications, you can control which device or application should have certain amount of sound with the help of Volume Mixer(we will discuss more about it later).
All these options should help improve the audio performance or experience for any user. Certain other common options include updating drivers and selecting sound enhancement options. Though sound enhancement may cause audio issues for some devices. So check that before you try.
Effective Ways to Use Sound Settings in Windows 10
By now you must know that there are a plethora of ways to enhance the audio in Windows 10. Still, we are going to provide you with a few other setting options for effective sounds.
Anyone who has been using a computer for some time would know what a Volume mixer is. In case anyone out there doesn’t know about this, then let me tell you that it is a simple setting to control the sound output. Every Windows device has this option. To access this
- Right-click on the sound icon on the taskbar.
- Click the volume Mixer option.
- This open a small Window that shows all the connected audio devices and applications currently running.
So what can you do with this Volume Mixer? It’s simple, you can adjust the volume of an audio device and any application that is running. If required, completely mute the sound too.
Advanced Sound Settings
This is a very simple sound setting option that is available in Windows 10. You can choose device preference, control the master volume, system sounds volume, and Input.
- Access these settings from the System Settings.
- In System Settings, go to sound tab and scroll to the bottom.
- There you will find Advanced sound options. Click it.
- This opens a windows with previously mentioned settings. Make desired changes.
How to Enable Equalizer in Windows 10?
Some people like to have a customized sound experience with an equalizer. Usually, Windows 10 doesn’t have an in-built equalizer. Well, that’s what most people think, but there is a way to access the equalizer and customize audio in Windows 10. To find out how to take a look below.
- Most of the sound settings can be accessed by the sound icon on your taskbar. So right-click on it and open the sound options with the “Open Sound settings”.
- On the new window, scroll down to the bottom and click the “Sound Control Panel” under Related Settings.
- In the playback tab, look for the default audio device. The device which as a green tick on it is the default device.
- Select it and you can see the properties option. Click the Properties option.
- Go to Enhancements tab and you can see some option under the Disable audio enhancements checkbox.
- If you scroll a little in those options, you will find the equalizer. Click the checkbox next to Equalizer to select it.
- Now to customize the equalizer, click the drop-down menu next to settings. This shows options like Rock, Pop, Jazz, and the other usual equalizer options.
- If you want some other option than the ones that are available, then click the 3 dots next to settings.
- This opens the equalizer, and use this to create your own equalizer sound options.
How to Update Sound Drivers in Windows 10?
I have mentioned times that updating audio drivers helps to fix sound problems in Windows 10. Though I have not mentioned how one can do that. Well, here are the instructions to update the audio drivers in Windows 10.
- Search for the Device Manager from your Start menu. Open it with a left click.
- In the Device Manager, look for the “Sound/audio, video and game controllers” option or anything closely related to audio drivers.
- When you click on that options, a few audio drivers can be seen depending on the number of audio device on your PC/laptop.
- Right-click on the required driver and hit the update driver options.
- Next select “search automatically for drivers” option.
- This updates the sound driver on your device. If you have multiple drivers then use the same procedure for updating them.
- You can also update drivers from the Windows Update.
Accessories to Improve Sound Quality
This isn’t a new thing, many of us already use various kinds of accessories to enhance the sound quality. These accessories could be Bluetooth or wired speaker, adapters, good quality headphones, home theater, or any other device that provide a better audio output.
Some of these devices can improve Bass, while others can enhance the overall sound quality. If you do want to upgrade your sound system at home or any other place then here are some choices.
- JBL Bar 5.1 – Channel 4K Ultra HD Soundbar
- Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 Channel 1000W Dolby Atmos Soundbar
- Acoustic Audio by Goldwood Bluetooth LED Light Display Speaker Set
- Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
- Acoustic Audio by Goldwood Bluetooth 5.1 Surround Sound System
That’s it for all the ways to fix sound problems in Windows 10. We have listed almost everything you need to fix sound problems in Windows 10 along with many other tips and tricks for a better audio experience. The way to stay out of trouble when it comes to audio devices is to keep the drivers updated. Also, check out some advanced sound settings and accessories to improve sound quality.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
This problem arises due to a couple of reasons. Some of them could be due to faulty cable, jack, and other connections, outdated drivers, the audio device is not properly connected, the default device is a different one, and a few others. All these can cause audio issues in Windows 10.
The best is to troubleshoot your speaker device from the Windows device find and fix the problem. Also, check all the connections of the speaker to make sure there aren’t any wrong connections.
There isn’t a single way to fix sound issues in Windows 10. It all depends on the kind of problems you are facing. So check out all the common issues and their solutions that are provided in this article.
Go to the control panel from the Start menu and select the “Hardware and Sound” option. Then click Sound and a new window opens. You can see all the connected devices, choose the required device and right-click on it to click the “Set as Default Device” option.
- 1 How to Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10?
- 1.1 Common Sound and Audio Issues in Windows 10
- 1.2 Tips & Tricks to Improve Sound in Windows 10
- 1.3 Effective Ways to Use Sound Settings in Windows 10
- 1.4 How to Update Sound Drivers in Windows 10?
- 1.5 Accessories to Improve Sound Quality
- 1.6 Conclusion
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)