No home doesn’t have a PC or a laptop, probably a few of them don’t. Most of us use our PC/laptops for either work or Gaming. People who do light work don’t get bothered much by the screen size. In fact, some people prefer small screens. Well, not everyone has that preference. Some people work best with a large screen, or should I say multiple screens. Hence the question, How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC?
Now some of you might be wondering, why multiple screens? The answer is pretty simple. Better productivity if you need it for work and an amazing gameplay experience for gamers. These two aren’t the only reasons, but most people prefer multiple screens for this reason. They also help in optimizing and organizing your Desktop PC/laptop experience. Even most students nowadays use dual monitors for better output. You can take online classes or stuff like that while keeping a book open on the side for reference.
Interested in joining Krogers and wonder how it works, Check out mylifeatkroger
How to Add Multiple Monitors to Your Windows 10 PC? Why Use Them, and What Are Their Functions?
Two is better than one, which is also true for monitors. Well, some people also prefer three monitors, though it depends on the kind of requirement you have. Also, having a good rig requires a powerful GPU. Before we talk about how to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC? Let’s address the reasons.
The Question of Why?
As stated previously, the use of multiple monitors helps users better organize and optimize their work. All that leads to better productivity. That’s the reason many offices provide their employees with dual monitors since all they care about is the work rate. With the right setup for work, an employee can do wonders for their organization.
Many employers caught a whiff of this and are providing dual monitors for their employees. Even in the pandemic where almost every employee is working from home, they have been provided with multiple screens for a hassle-free workflow. Now fewer distractions and better results. For example, an employee can be in a video call with others, check mails, and use other tools on one screen, and continue their work on the other.
Similarly, a student can show better results too, if he is provided with an extra screen for all his/her education. It might not be a necessity like it is for an employee, but a change that is for the better. They can multitask while writing a paper and researching on the side with the other screen.
The most fun experience one can get is a gamer, with a dual-screen they can take in the best that a game has to give. Just like an employee, they can keep the chatbox open to communicate with their friends and be on the lookout for enemy forces on the other screen.
The Answer to, How to Add Multiple Monitors to Your Windows 10 PC?
The info you have been waiting for here. Though there isn’t a simple answer for this. Why do you ask? Because there are various ways on how to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC. We shall list all those options so you can decide for yourself which one to go ahead with.
Requirement for 2 Monitor Setup or Any Multi-monitor Setup
First, let us discuss the requirements and connection types that can be employed for the multi-monitor setup.
- When it comes to prerequisites for the multi monitor setup, there isn’t much you need to get. Maybe check if you have enough space to place 2 good-sized monitors, a graphic card, and RAM that can take proper care of double or triple monitors.
- Now for the connection types, a user can choose from 4 different cables. With the right port and cable, anyone can set up a Windows 10 multiple monitors setup.
- Even if you do not have the right connection, there are adapters that help with that.
- Choose HDMI, VGA, Display Port, or DVI. Many users don’t use VGA cables and are mostly obsolete. HDMI is a well-known of these 4 as many devices come with a port for this connection.
- If you are looking for the best framerates then try the Display Port connection. These are all the rage now as they support amazing resolutions with framerates.
Again, How to Add Multiple Monitors to Your Windows 10 PC?
After you meet all the prerequisites for the multi-monitor setup, let’s start with the connections.
- Make all the appropriate connections using the desired cable. You will know the connections are successful when you see things on the second monitor.
- Now it’s time to choose what kind of setup you need with the second screen.
- You got PC Screen only, Duplicate(Mirroring), Extend, and Second Screen only.
- Each has its perks. The first option which is the “PC Screen” isn’t of much use as its shows only the main screen. Though it comes in handy when a certain application doesn’t support multiple screens and works on a single one.
- With the “Duplicate” option, two screens are going to show the same thing. Again, not very useful for the multiple screen experience.
- Now the “Extend” display is where the magic happens. Everything from the main screen is extended over to the other. Meaning, you now have a huge screen split into two. Useful for work and gaming.
- Finally, the Second Screen selection. While similar to the first point as it displays only on the second screen leaving the main screen blank, it does have its moments. Especially, when you want to project your screen display using a projector.
- All this can be done from the Windows Settings of your device. Right-click on your desktop and select the “Display Settings” option.
- Here you can select the appropriate resolution, display orientation, and layout.
I believe this answer, “How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC” question, or the “How to set up a second monitor”. If you still have any issues then check out this Dummies Tutorial on the same.
Those pesky drives can be an issue sometimes, why don’t you take a look at our article on the windows 10 bluetooth driver
Some Good Monitors for the Multi-monitor Setup
Now that we are done with that, some of you might be excited to transform your setup into a 2 monitor setup. Well then, let’s find monitors that are a great fit for such a setup. Since there are a lot of options out there for the multiple monitor setup, we are gonna bring you 3 such selections that are the best to choose from.
This is one of the best choices for gaming monitors and it is also great for a 3 monitor setup. It provides an impressive 170Hz refresh rate and 2560 x 1440 resolution for a 27-inch screen size with a 1ms response time. Users can experience lag-free gameplay, and it supports Nvidia G-Sync as well as AMD FreeSync. The monitor comes with an HDMI and Display port.
Need a good IPS screen with a great response time? Then try the LG 27GL83A-B 27″ monitor for your dual or triple monitor setup. This 27-inch screen provides an amazing user experience when it comes to gaming and any other work. Its 2560×1440 combined with the 144Hz refresh rate is one of the best choices for a 3 monitor set up, and that’s something many users agree about. With this, you will never see any stuttering or tearing in your gameplay. Though that doesn’t mean it’s only meant for gaming.
With Infinity Edge bezels and a 2560×1440 resolution IPS screen, the Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX 27″ makes a great option for dual or triple monitor setups. Though its refresh rate is lower than the other monitors in this list, which is 60 Hz, it still makes for a good option. Targeted at business and personal usage, any users would be happy to have this in their setup.
Common Issues While Creating a Multi-monitor Setup and Its Solutions
Having multiple monitors as your setup is fun until one or two of them don’t work properly. This isn’t something new, many users have reported such incidents where one or multiple monitors in their setup aren’t working or showing some kind of error. If you are here for such a reason, don’t worry. We got a few instructions that will help you fix many issues. Let’s see what they are.
The One With the External Monitor Blank Screen
One of the frequent and most reports user issues is that the external monitor(s) doesn’t display anything. Well, let us start with some basic things for this, shall we?
- First, try separating all other hardware accessories from the device they are connected to. Things like external hard drivers, adapters, or docks, et cetera. Then check whether all the cables are connected and are in working condition.
- Replace any damaged cables. Users can also try changing the video port they are using. Like changing from HDMI to Display port, vice versa.
- Make sure that our system can handle multiple monitors, and if not, then upgrade your PC.
The Annoying No Signal Error
As much as I hate this error, in a way, it’s a relief. Why is that? Because this means that your PC failed to detect the other monitor. So all you have to do is help it detect.
- To do that, right-click on your desktop screen and hit the Display settings option.
- In the Display settings, click the “Detect” option next to identify. This should do the trick.
- A few other things that can be tried are changing connection cables, turning on/off your monitor, switching ports between HDMI, VGA, DVI, or Display Port.
- Reconnect the other monitor which is showing the “no signal” message.
Some Other Common Solutions
Now there are few other things apart from the “How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC?”, like not displaying the login screen, can only see the mouse pointer, and few other issues. Regardless of the error, they are certain common practices that can help most users fix such issues.
- Updating drivers is a usual thing for many users to fix most of their multi-monitor issues, and it works.
- Sometimes the other monitors don’t have a proper resolution. This can be easily straightened out by going to the display setting and reverting the resolution to the default option.
- Sometimes updating the drivers doesn’t help, instead, it can cause a new problem. In such scenarios, it’s best to revert to the previous version of the driver.
- Do that from the Display adapter section in the Device Manager. Go to Properties in the Display adapter menu by right-clicking on it, and then go to the Driver tab.
- Now select the “Roll back driver” option. That’s it.
For more solutions check out this Microsoft Support link.
Future of Monitors
Due to this disease rampaging through the world, more than 40% of the population In the U.S is still working from the home. Also, there is around 37% percent of the jobs that can be worked from home. While it is nice working from home, but if an employee doesn’t have the right setup for that, productivity can see a downward curve. Here, we are talking about the Monitors.
Since Monitors are essential for work, which I have stated previously, many offices are offering multiple ones that are the best in the market. With the increase in work-from-home jobs and the use of monitors, the sales or requirement chart for them is only gonna grow. Currently, there are many good ones in the market offering 4k and 8k resolutions, and many more are on their way from Dell, Asus, LG, Acer, and others. We now even have a 360Hz monitor from ASUS ROG.
Each new model offers improved resolution, refresh rate, colors, and many other features. In the future, almost every office and home will have the best ones with a complete touchscreen and some new features. Also, probably many are gonna start using 2,3, or even monitors work their work or gaming. Then this “How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC” article is gonna be really useful.
Do you know what the my disney experience account is? Well you can find out just by clicking.
All this should answer your question, “How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC?”. So if you have read through all the way here then you understand the basics of “How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC” and handle most of its common issues. Everything from the procedure of adding and troubleshooting is provided. So happy reading.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Yes, adding 5 monitors to your rig is a possibility, though you will need a good GPU and other configurations that can handle this kind of setup.
Windows 10 can easily handle 2 or 3 extra monitors, provided that the PC also has appropriate configurations for the same.
Using a dual or triple monitor completely depends on the user’s requirement. Though many people believe it to be unnecessary, in contrast, it can be really helpful. It improves productivity and usability when there are multiple screens.
There could be a plethora of reasons why the other monitor is not working. It could be a connection issue with the cable or drivers that need to be updated, and a few other reasons. We have addressed many such issues along with solutions to them. Do check them out.
- 1 How to Add Multiple Monitors to Your Windows 10 PC? Why Use Them, and What Are Their Functions?
- 1.1 The Answer to, How to Add Multiple Monitors to Your Windows 10 PC?
- 1.2 Some Good Monitors for the Multi-monitor Setup
- 1.3 Common Issues While Creating a Multi-monitor Setup and Its Solutions
- 1.4 Future of Monitors
- 1.5 Conclusion
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)