There is probably no one in this world who needs an introduction to Microsoft. Since it was founded in 1975, the company has grown exponentially in its market and the products it offers. Most of its products are very familiar to the world. Like the Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Skype, Xbox Consoles, and many others. Now all these products require a Microsoft account. So we are here to discuss how to sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10. Along with all the other info related to the account.
Every product of Microsoft that is being used in the market requires uses to login into the Microsoft account. Only then can a user use the software or access the info related to the software. So why does a user have to sign in to Microsoft Account Windows? Or, for that matter, in any of their products. The answer is simple, by logging in to the Microsoft accounts, users can store the data of that product and manage the account and all its info.
It provides you a means to manage the product functions and all its features through the account. Also, some of their products won’t work without a login. Apps like Skype, Xbox live, et cetera require a user’s login to work. The Microsoft account is one of the most used accounts by people. That’s because the majority of people in the world Windows OS. Since it requires the Microsoft sign, every user at home and office using this OS has a Microsoft account.
Also, many colleges use the Microsoft account login for their management systems like Blackboard. So will help users to sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10.
Why Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10?
As I have mentioned earlier, almost every product of Microsoft requires you to login into the account. While most of them will work without logging in to the account, users cannot get the full benefits of their products without a login. Even in Windows 10, users are requested to log in to their Microsoft accounts. Though it isn’t necessary, it is recommended.
Wondering why? Then let me address some reasons for that. Every Windows users have certain settings and personalized options, and when one can change the device, these settings/personalizations are lost. To prevent this from happening, users should log in to the Microsoft account as it stores all this user data. When you log in to a new device with your Microsoft account those settings can be imported.
One other thing is that you can access the OneDrive storage with the Microsoft account. This is to use the free 15GB storage. These are just some of the online services that the company offers with their accounts. Some of their online services include Office 365, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Exchange Online archive, Security services, and many others.
Each of these services has its unique features and benefits. For example, Microsoft Teams is one of the widely used platforms for business communication. With work and schools going online, its demand increased even more in the pandemic. You also know how important this tool is for an office requirement. Using this product is only possible by Signing in to the Microsoft account. Similarly, there are many other examples and advantages.
Pros and Cons of Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10
- Users can login and use the Windows Store to download apps and games.
- Cortana AI assistant for all your needs.
- Allows users to synch data across all devices.
- Cloud storage and file access through OneDrive.
- Secured amount with the 2-factor authentication.
- Access to Xbox, Skype, Email, Microsoft Office, and much more.
All these pros are just the tip of the iceberg when comes to advantages with the Sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10.
- There aren’t many disadvantages to using a Microsoft account apart from the privacy issue. Since all the user data is stored and monitor, there are risks of them being used for wrong reasons. So make sure to read the Microsoft Privacy Statement.
- Security is something that is closely related to privacy. While chances of the account being hacked is common among any other account, that doesn’t make it any more secure. Remember to always log out of the Microsoft account when using it from another device.
Now that you know all the pros and cons, let us learn about how to sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10. We shall also see how to create an account and recover it, in case you forget your login ID or password.
How to Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10?
The sign-in to Microsoft account Windows 10 is the same for every user for all their products. So take a look at the following instructions, which should help link a Microsoft account to Windows 10.
- If you are using an app or a website then you can see the login option. Just click that login button.
- Windows users can login by going to “Accounts” in Windows settings. Then click the login option in the settings window.
- In case you need a link to login, here is the Microsoft Account Login.
- On the login, there is a single empty field where you have to enter your email, phone, or the Skype login ID.
- Click the “Next” button and on the following page, enter your account password.
- With that you will be logged in to your Microsoft account.
- Now there are others to login as well. For example, click the “Sign-in options” that on the login page.
- Here you can choose two ways, one is to use a security key. The other one is to use the GitHub login ID and password.
- If you just want to sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10, then you can also use your device PIN.
- Remember, the above link for the Microsoft login page is going to look a little different when compared to your Windows 10 login page. So do not worry.
How to Recover the Password for a Microsoft Account Login?
It isn’t surprising that you forgot the password for a website or an app, we as humans tend to forget this kind of stuff easily. So it should be obvious that there are ways to recover back what has been lost. It isn’t that complicated either. All you have to do is follow the next few instructions and your password will be recovered in no time.
- After you enter the username on the Microsoft Account Login, the next step is to enter your password.
- If you do not remember the password then simply click the “forgot password?” button.
- When you press that option, Microsoft will want to check if that’s really you who’s trying to login.
- Just click the “Get code” option, and you will receive a code as mail to the same email.
- Enter the code in the mentioned field to reset your account password.
- Now assign a new password to your account and log back in.
- If you prefer to receive the verification code as a text message, then click “show other verification methods” and select the text method to get the code to your mobile.
How to Sign Up or Register for Microsoft User Account?
Anyone who doesn’t have a Microsoft account can easily create one with a few simple steps. How do you ask? Well, find out by taking a look at the instructions given below.
- Using the same address which is the Microsoft Account Login, you can create an account.
- Windows 10 users can search “Manage your account” in Windows Start menu. Then hit enter to go to the Windows 10 account settings, if one isn’t already aren’t already signed in then click the “Sign in with a Microsoft account instead” option.
- Now, on the login page, click the “Create one!” option to sign up for a Microsoft account.
- Enter an email address for the username, or click the “use a mobile number instead” option to use mobile number as username.
- Next, assign a password for the account. Microsoft will then send a code to your mobile or email depending on the option that you have chosen.
- Enter the code and click next. That’s it, with that you now have a Microsoft account.
If one wants to create a Microsoft account for the first time in Outlook then take a look at these digitalunite instructions on the same. All the above tutorials will not only help log in to the Microsoft account for Windows 10 but other applications of Microsoft as well.
What Is Windows Hello and How to Set It Up?
Windows 10 came with an advanced feature that allows users a better and simpler way to access their devices. It’s a biometric-based technology and is more secure. That’s because it uses PIN, facial recognition, and fingerprint scan to access a device. All this is possible only after setting it up for access.
If you want to set up Windows Hello on your device, then the next few instructions should help you with that. Remember this option might not be available on every device.
- Open Settings on your device from the Start menu.
- Next, go to Account and in there, click the “Sign-in options” from the left menu.
- In this menu, there are a bunch of options under “Manage how you sign in to your device”.
- Choose the desired one from the list. You can go for Windows Hello Face to set up facial recognition as sign-in authentication. This will use your device’s camera.
- If you choose the Windows Hello Fingerprint, then setup authentication using a fingerprint reader for the sign-in.
- The third option is to setup sign-in using PIN with the Window Hello PIN.
This is one other way to sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10.
Common Issues With the Windows 10 Microsoft Account
There is no system, application, web portal, or any such thing that works perfectly. Even the high and mighty Microsoft cannot save its users from bugs that cause issues. Though it cannot prevent every issue with Microsoft or its login portal, it can help users to fix them. I have already provided tutorials on how to recover your account when you forget that account password.
So let us discuss few such issues with the Windows Microsoft Account and how we can fix them.
The Basic Problems Often Require Basic Solutions
A simple issue that’s preventing you from logging into the Microsoft account can usually be fixed with simple procedures. Here are a few things that you can try to troubleshoot login issues.
- Just restart your device and the problem could be fixed. This is true, some common bugs with Windows 10 can be fixed with a simple restart of the device. Also, update your device if there are any pending ones.
- Check the password, internet connection while trying to log in. You can also try logging in with a different account.
- For other such solutions to Microsoft account login, check this Microsoft Troubleshoot Document.
The Frustrating “Microsoft Account Problem”
I say it’s frustrating because this error message pops up for no reason. This is due to the shared experience option being “ON” on your device. It is a useless option since no one uses it, but it was meant to be used for moving among different devices using the same application. As many applications don’t support this feature, there is no need for it.
It is advised to turn off this feature to prevent/stop the “Microsoft Account Problem”. Though this feature is often turned on again with the next update, you can at least turn it off for some time.
- To turn it off, go to Settings and click the System option.
- In there, click the “Shared Experience” option from the left side menu.
- Here you can see the “Fix Now” option. Click it and a window opens asking you to login to the Microsoft account. Use your password or PIN depending on what’s mentioned there.
- Now the error fixed and even though it is gone, your work isn’t done yet.
- In the Shared Experience menu, you can see a toggle On switch under the option. Turn it off and you probably won’t have to worry about it, at least for some time.
Windows Account Locked Problem
- Try to Sign in. I know that sounds weird because the account is locked. The things are, you have to visit the Microsoft Login portal and try to login to receive a security code. Use the phone number to get the security code. Upon Failure, attempt another method.
- Since the account is blocked, one may not see the “Next” option while trying to log in. In such scenario that one may have to reinstate the account by filling in a Microsoft form. Visit the Microsoft Services Account Reset, and fill in the details to reset the account.
Some of the Most Searched Questions and Solutions for a Microsoft Account
Apart from the common issues and Sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10 tutorial, many users hit the web to look for answers/instructions for certain things. Here, we are going to address one or two such questions and their solutions.
How to Add/Remove Accounts on Your Windows 10 Pc
Some of us at home or office have multiple users on our Windows 10 device, or maybe one wants to add another account. This isn’t something that is known to everyone and nothing is embarrassing about that. So if there are any such requirements then take a look at the next few instructions that should help add/remove an account to a Windows 10 PC.
First, let us see how to add people to a PC at home.
- Open Settings from the Start menu in Windows 10 and go to Accounts.
- On the left side accounts menu, hit the “Family & other users” tab.
- Click the “Add someone else to this PC” option under the “Other users”.
- Enter all the required login credentials for a Microsoft account and follow the instruction shown on the screen to finish adding an account.
- In case you want to remove that person’s login info, then go to “Family & other users” using the above steps and select the profile you want to remove.
- Just click Remove. Remember, this only remove the sign-in info and not the account.
For other such account additions or removals, visit this Microsoft Tutorial for adding and removing accounts.
How to Reset the Windows 10 Local Account Password?
Local Accounts are used in Windows 10 to create an offline account. This is something people use to create an offline account. Local accounts don’t your device to others, and the user data cannot be imported. Some users prefer to use an offline account instead of an online Microsoft account.
In case you need help to reset this online Windows 10 Local account password, then look below for instructions.
- User with Windows 1803 version have the option to reset their local account password using security questions. You might have added a few security questions while setting up the local account.
- Select the reset password option on the sign in page, and you can see the security questions to log back in.
- If you use PIN to login, then click the PIN Sign-in issues to get the security questions.
- After answering the security questions, enter the new password and sign back in from the sign-in page.
- Users who use their device on a network should have to contact their Administrator to fix this issue.
For other users who are using a version of Windows 10 earlier than 1803, there aren’t any security questions. Such users can check this Account Reset link to reset their Windows 10 local account.
A Little More About Microsoft
Microsoft is usually known for its operating system, Xbox Consoles, web browsers, Microsoft Office Suite, et cetera, but that’s not it. They also have a great market for hardware products like PCs along with many other services. The company has also procured many other companies and services like Linkedin, Skype, Mojang, GitHub, Nuance Communication, and many others.
All these companies have helped Microsoft diversify its services and products to reach a large population. So it shouldn’t be surprising that the company is ranked at #21 in the 2020s Fortune 500 companies list. This was based on revenue generated by the company. Apart from the hardware, they also provide services in the digital market, cloud computing, software development, and a few others.
To know more about the company check out its Wikipedia page.
Features of a Microsoft Account
Listing all the features of a Microsoft account is difficult, but we shall do our best to include the important ones. Check them all out.
- Access to cloud storage through Microsoft Office and OneDrive.
- Users can access their Microsoft data in multiple device by synching and logging into the Microsoft account.
- Many useful apps and games from the Windows Store, along with access to the Xbox games through game pass.
- Security and customer support for all Windows 10 products and services.
These are just a few useful features of a Microsoft account.
All this should clear any doubts about the sign-in to Microsoft account Windows 10. Various tutorials are explaining how to sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10, how to reset, recover the account. Along with that, we have also covered many common errors and their solutions. If you still have any doubts about the Sign in to Microsoft account Windows 10, or anything else, check the links provided.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Yes, users can create a local account to use their Windows 10 PC. Though some devices now do not have the option to create a local account.
With the right login credentials, which are the username and password anyone who has an account can log in to the Microsoft account.
Anyone who has an email address or at least a smartphone can create a Microsoft account. Use this Microsoft Account Creation link.
There could several reasons why you have this issue. Try troubleshooting, updating drivers, and restarting your device. We have also covered a few other methods to fix this issue, so check out the tutorials in this article.
- 1 Why Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10?
- 1.1 Pros and Cons of Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10
- 1.2 How to Sign in to Microsoft Account Windows 10?
- 1.3 How to Recover the Password for a Microsoft Account Login?
- 1.4 How to Sign Up or Register for Microsoft User Account?
- 1.5 What Is Windows Hello and How to Set It Up?
- 1.6 Common Issues With the Windows 10 Microsoft Account
- 1.7 Some of the Most Searched Questions and Solutions for a Microsoft Account
- 1.8 A Little More About Microsoft
- 1.9 Features of a Microsoft Account
- 1.10 Conclusion
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)