Most of us in our entire lives have used a flash driver/USB at least once, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t. For the first when you attach a USB drive to your PC/laptop there is a good chance that the drive wasn’t recognized. Maybe it did, and you saw a notification saying the drivers are being installed for this USB drive. In short, without the USB Drivers, a PC or a Laptop cannot detect the flash drive. That’s why it’s also essential to update USB Drivers Windows 10.
Some devices do not automatically install the USB drivers, and the drivers have to be added manually. This is frankly a boring task, luckily it doesn’t take much time to do that. Before we get into the whole updating drivers part, let us discuss what drivers are. To put it in simple terms, drivers are software that contains a code for computers to interact and work with the flash drivers or USB, or any other eternal device. That’s why it is important to update USB drivers Windows 10.
Without drivers, computers are entirely lost when it comes to a connected USB. When one installs the appropriate driver software, a computer has access to the USB. Then it knows how to operate/work with it. This should tell how important drivers are in any device. Not just USB drivers, but every device has its drivers, and are equally important for its functioning. So it is crucial that up update USB Drivers Windows 10.
What Are the Functions of USB Drivers? How to Update USB Drivers Windows 10?
If any of you is confused about the difference between device drivers and USB drivers, then let me clear it up. They are the same, at least in a way. Device drivers are a category of drivers for any kind of device whose functionality and the operating procedure are not known by a computer. For example, a USB device. Since a computer does not know how to operate a USB for the first time, it needs USB drivers. These are also the device drivers.
Apart from USB drivers, other drivers come under the category of device drivers. Drivers for devices like printers, scanners, card readers, controllers, modems, et cetera are all device drivers.
Windows 10 Disk Management is a wonderful tool to manage your storage devices. If you are not sure how to use it or where to find it, check out this article to learn how.
Functions of USB Drivers
When it comes to the functionality of device drivers, there isn’t much to tell. Except that device drivers are the ones that provide other hardware with the required functionality. This is true for any device driver. In the case of USB drivers, let us see some of their functions in detail.
- The whole point of USB drivers us to let computer connect with the USB and allow the users to operate the USB. This is the main function of a USB driver.
- These drivers allow computer to view content inside the drive.
- Users can also make changes to the content inside the USB, like adding or removing data. Though some USBs don’t allow any changes to its content if it is in read-only mode.
- With the USB drivers installed, users can copy contents from the USB to the computer storage or any other external storage.
- These USB drivers needs to be installed only once. As long as their functionality is embedded in your device, you can use the USB.
How to Update USB Drivers Windows 10?
Most devices now come with USB drivers, so users don’t have to go onto the internet to download one. That also covers the installation part since you already have the driver installed. So all that is left is to update them when it is required. We are going to list out all the steps so that anyone can update USB Drivers Windows 10. Let us begin the procedure.
- This procedure requires you to manually update them from the Device Manager.
- Go to Device Manager from the Windows Start menu.
- In there, look for the drivers you want to update. Since we are talking about the USB drivers look for the Universal Serial bus controller, or anything closely related to it.
- Right-click on it and you can see the update driver option. Click the update driver option.
- Then a small window opens with two options. Select the first one that says, “search automatically for the updated driver software”.
- This should update the driver to the latest version that is available.
This was one way to update USB drivers Windows 10, there is another simple one. The next few steps tell you how to use the other method.
Using Windows Update
- Head over to Windows Settings by searching for the same from the Start menu.
- Click the last option in the Settings which is “Update & Security”.
- This takes you to the Window update menu.
- In there, click the Check for updates option so that Windows can check if there are any new updates for USB drivers.
- When found, you can download & install those updates right from there.
- This should help anyone to update USB drivers Windows 10
Downloading From the Manufacturer’s Site and Updating
In case you need a third different approach for the update then there is one more way you can try. Though you have to download manually, the new version of the driver from the manufacturer’s site. For this to work, the device model number along with the info on OS is required. Since every device has different USB drivers, you should enter your device info to get compatible drivers.
- Now make note of the manufacturer info, device name, model number, and OS info.
- When you have all that, head over to the manufacturer site and enter all these details.
- This should give you appropriate drivers.
- Open the Device Manager, and right-click on the Universal Serial bus controller.
- Again click the update driver option. Now, instead of selecting the “search automatically for the updated driver software” option, click the option.
- The other option is “Browse my computer for driver update software”. Select the downloaded driver from the manufacturer’s site.
- This will update the driver to the latest version. Sometimes if you reinstall and install the drivers, restart the device for the changes to take place.
All these methods will give you the same result, which is to update USB Drivers Windows 10.
How to Choose the Right USB Driver?
As I have mentioned earlier, some devices will install the USB drivers automatically, while others need a manual approach. In such scenarios, which driver is the right one for your device? To answer this is pretty simple, its compatibility. Well that was very vague, right? Let me expand on this a little.
There are certain factors or should I say criteria to consider before you download and install a USB driver.
- The important thing is compatibility, and some would argue that’s the only requirement. Before downloading a driver make sure whether it supports the device configuration. Check if the driver works with x32bit or x64bit processor, and is the same as the device.
- Another criteria which is also a compatibility thing, is if the drivers supports Windows 10? In case you are using an old version of Windows then download the drivers based on that version.
- Does the USB driver incorporate well with your device? It means if the driver can work well with your device and has all the key code for that. Though this isn’t something that casual users should concern themselves with.
- Also, if the driver comes with a documentation manual? Most users may not care about documentation, but it helps us understand what kind of release is these drivers. Make sure that the drivers has the options for updating USB drivers Windows 10, though USB drivers don’t need updates like sound drivers, or update graphic drivers.
How to Keep Any Windows 10 Software Updated?
Any driver update software for Windows 10 is essential because updates bring in new features and security enhancements for a device. In the case of updating my USB drivers in Windows 10, there is a good chance that the number of updates is less. Since the USB drivers don’t require many changes in terms of functionality.
When it comes to updating other Windows 10 software there are few ways. First, let us talk about the easiest one.
- Go to Windows Update menu from the settings and click the “Check for updates” option. That was it, Windows will look for any brand new updates and you can install them. These aren’t just OS updates, but the updates are also for pieces of software.
- Another method is by going to the Device Manager from the Start menu. There you can find many software and drivers installed for your device. Expand on the device, then right-click on the required driver/software and hit the update driver option.
- Some pieces of software like antivirus and few others have an option to check for updates. So you can check for updates for such software from the application settings.
- Apart from the above 3 methods, there is one more way to update drivers. That method requires you to install another tool/software. This software scans your device for drivers and pieces of software then shows available updates. Some software also allow users to download any missing driver from their device. For example, Drivermax, Ibot Uninstaller, and some others. We talk about such software in a while.
All this should help you update USB drivers Windows 10 or any other software on your device.
Windows 10 Sleep Mode helps save power. It is a savior for laptops to preserve some juice on your battery while you are away. Check how to change the sleep mode setting on your pc from here.
Important Drivers to Keep Track of in Windows 10
Whenever you to the Windows Update and tap that check for updates button, there are mostly a bunch of updates on your device. Other than this there are other updates, that are important as well. All this can be confusing to some as they don’t have any idea about which ones need immediate attention.
Do not worry, we are here to help you understand which one should be updated immediately, while others can be put on hold. First things first, let’s just list some Windows 10 drivers updates that are available on a device.
Some of the driver updates that are available in Windows 10 are BIOS, sound, video card, display drivers, modem drivers, mouse drivers, USB drivers, controllers, Bluetooth, printer, scanner, SD card, card reader, firmware, CD/DVD drivers, external hard disk, keyboard, motherboard, and a few others.
All these updates can be found in the Windows 10 update menu. Now, most of these updates are required for the proper functionality of your device. Though some of these should be prioritized above others. Drivers like BIOS, video card, sound card, graphic drivers, firmware, motherboard, Bluetooth, chipset, and any Microsoft-related driver updates should be your priority for updates.
When you are done with those updates, then go for the others. Since drivers for an external driver, USB, and others aren’t something you use every day. That doesn’t mean they aren’t important. They are essential too but can be improved upon later.
Some Good Device Driver Utility Options to Update USB Drivers Windows 10 and Others
Told you we would get back to driver utility. The Device driver utility tool is simple software that lets you update drivers on the device. Any driver update can be done with one click. You just have to install them and scan your device to find all the drivers. So let us see some good device driver utility tools to make updating easier.
This is something that I have been using for some time now, just install it on the device and scan for all the drivers. When all the drivers on the device are found, it shows available updates for those drivers. While it sounds great, there is a catch. You can only download two driver updates in 24 hours and have to download them one after the other.
I know that sounds tedious but that is all you get for free. If you get a paid subscription for a year or 2 then you get unlimited access to its features. In case the above conditions don’t bother you then install this utility tool.
- Free tool for Windows 10
- User-friendly interface.
- Can automatically detect new updates.
- Allows scheduled scans.
- Option to backup and create a restore point before update.
- $14.51 per year, which is pretty cheap.
- Supports only 2 updates in free version.
- Often shows adds that has subscription offers.
Lets users schedule a scan to find any new driver updates, and is one of the most used utility tools. The unique thing about this tool is that it can scan for updates even though there is no internet connection. Once back online, install them. Also, It supports many devices and even the older Windows models.
- Has option to create a backup and restore points.
- Easy to use even for a layperson.
- Can even scan offline to find updates.
- Updates are downloaded within the software.
- Scan takes 1 minute.
- In lite version of Windows, the drivers have to be updated manually.
- Cost is a bit high with $29.95 per month.
This utility tool has a lot of drivers for Windows 10 and older devices. The interface is a standard one and can be easy to use. All the general features like updating drivers, backing data, creating a restore point, and schedule scanning are available in this tool.
One feature that is exclusive to this software is that it has the option to add drivers to ignore list. Meaning if there is a driver that you don’t want to update then add it to the ignore list and you won’t see its updates again(at least till you remove it from there).
- Doesn’t have any adds from third parties.
- Can create restore points before updating.
- It helps to improve your device performance.
- Scheduled scan option is available.
- Multiple updates are not possible at once.
- Trial version has limited functionality. For example, certain setting changes can only be done in the paid version.
All these tools can also be used to update USB Drivers Windows 10.
Click here to learn How to Link Microsoft Account to Windows.
We have covered everything that you need to know about how to update USB drivers Windows 10. Along with that, we have many other tutorials on updating drivers, software, and how to choose the right drivers. In case you need some software that can do this for you, then check out the above driver utility section for that. This concludes the “Update USB Drivers Windows 10” article.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Go to Device Manager in Windows, and right-click on the Universal Serial Bus Controller option. Then you can see the “update driver” option. Click it to update the USB driver.
Driver updates can be done from the Windows Update settings menu. You just have to click the “Check for updates” option to find the driver update software. One other way is by using Driver Utility tools.
Yes, always keep your graphic drivers updated. They improve your system performance.
Yes, driver utility tools update sound drivers. Not just that, but every device driver can be updated using this utility tool.
- 1 What Are the Functions of USB Drivers? How to Update USB Drivers Windows 10?
- 1.1 How to Update USB Drivers Windows 10?
- 1.2 How to Choose the Right USB Driver?
- 1.3 How to Keep Any Windows 10 Software Updated?
- 1.4 Important Drivers to Keep Track of in Windows 10
- 1.5 Some Good Device Driver Utility Options to Update USB Drivers Windows 10 and Others
- 1.6 Conclusion
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)